— We’ll get a look at what’s planned to replace the apartment complex called Belle Isle Key, 31 Venetian Way, on the northeast quadrant of Belle Isle. If you remember, residents in 2010 successfully fought to scale back a previous proposal for the site, which now accommodates 120 rental apartments on 3.5 acres. But the developer decided it wasn’t worth building, and five years later has come back with a new plan.
— We’ll learn about other projects planned at our doorstep: in Sunset Harbour, and on West Avenue and Alton Road. Did you know the old Boston Market site is being planned as a hotel by the same developer that shoe-horned the Marriott Residence Inn on the sliver of land north of 17th Street at West Avenue? More proposals are in the works for the land south of 17th Street between West and Alton and other sites.
— We’ll hear a road construction and elevation update. The only truly good news — at least for most — is that the westernmost Venetian bridge is projected to reopen at the end of February. But more Venetian bridge work will follow. And the elevation work in Sunset Harbour will continue, and then comes more work on West Avenue and the construction of a new West Avenue bridge that links Sunset Harbour with the corridor to the south.
The meeting, at Belle Plaza, 20 Island Ave., begins with a social at 6 p.m. Serious business starts at 7 p.m., and also includes election of association officers.
Here’s the full agenda:
ALL RESIDENTS ARE WELCOME TO ATTEND
Thursday, January 21, 2016
Join us for Wine at 6:00PM
Annual Meeting at 7:00PM
20 Island Avenue Meeting Room (Belle Plaza)
- Welcome & Introductions of BIRA Board and City Officials present, Scott Diffenderfer
- Annual Meeting Business
- Approval of minutes from 2015 Annual Meeting
- Treasurers report, Herb Frank
- Election of board members and officers for 2016 Nominating Committee
- Introduction of Commissioners and Elected officials present
- Caroline DeFreze, City of Miami Beach Community Resource Coordinator (confirmed) will introduce will introduce police and transportation officials
- Update on area projects, Lynn Bernstein/Bruce Mowry, Ph.D., P.E., City of Miami Beach Engineer (both confirmed)
- West Avenue Bridge Design and Construction Timeline
- Sunset Harbour Streets and pumps
- Update on West Avenue and other city streets; upcoming projects
- Open questions from residents
- Update on reopening of Venetian causeway bridge as well as long range rehabilitation from FDOT/Miami-Dade County (not confirmed yet)
- Miami Beach Police (not confirmed yet)
- Update on Watson Island Project and Lawsuit, Roger Craver, Coalition for Causeway Chaos (Scott meeting with him on Wednesday to confirm)
- Park Update, Garry Korr
- Belle isle Residents Association Goals for 2016
- Other Business, Open Forum and questions from residents