It’s been almost a year since Miami Critical Mass staged its monthly bike ride through the Venetian Islands.
Friday evening, it’s back. and Miami Beach police warn of the usual traffic snarls.
The ride starts at 7:15 p.m. at Government Center downtown, through Northeast Miami to the 79th Street Causeway, then across Normandy Isle to Collins Avenue.
The last leg of the ride will take riders west on Dade Boulevard to Venetian Way and through the Venetian Islands — likely some time after 8 p.m.
So plan to avoid the traffic if you can. If you get caught in it, be patient.
(NOTE: This is a corrected version of this post — an earlier version had the route reversed).
The monthly Miami Beach Community Bike Ride happens Saturday morning between 9 and 11:30 a.m.
It’s a fun event for participants — and a wise thing to plan around for errand-running South Beach residents.
For Belle Isle and other Venetian Causeway dwellers, it’s important to know that the last leg of the ride takes riders down Alton Road from Middle Beach and then east at 20th Street to Dade Boulevard and the Convention Center area.
The ride starts at Fifth Street and Washington Avenue. Here’s the general route, for planning purposes:
- Fifth Street from Washington Avenue to Ocean Drive
- Ocean Drive from Fifth to 15 streets
- 15 Street from Ocean Drive to Collins Avenue
- Collins Avenue from 15 Street to 87 Street
- 87 Terrace between Collins Avenue and Harding Avenue
- Harding Avenue from 87 Terrace (to Indian Creek) to 63 Street
- 63 Street from Indian Creek to North Bay Road
- North Bay Road south from 63 Street to 45 Street/Alton Road
- Alton Road from 45 Street to 20 Street
- Dade Boulevard from 20 Street to Convention Center Drive
- Convention Center Drive
- 17 Street from Convention Center Drive to Washington Avenue
- Washington Avenue south from 17 Street back to Fifth Street