- Miami Beach’s top cop says political winds shifted March 7, 2014
- Miami Beach police chief stepping down March 7, 2014
- Teen shot by Miami Beach police Taser died of accidental cardiac arrest March 7, 2014
- Miami Beach close to selecting firm to manage tennis programs March 7, 2014
- More Bieber videos released by prosecutors March 5, 2014
Belle Isle Archives
It was a warm and wonderful Sunday on Belle Isle, and some 25,000 runners crossed our island, pursuing personal milestones. Volunteers gave them water and Gatorade and we cheered them on….(Thanks to Belle Isle’s Steve Neifeld for the photos)
We hope you survived the Super Bore — er, Bowl — and are ready for the week. Here are a couple of things to get you ready:
– The Alton/West Trolley loop starts service today at 8 a.m. The free service from the city of Miami Beach will take passengers north along Alton Road, from Fifth Street to Lincoln Road then south on West Avenue back to Fifth Street. It’s meant to relieve congestion caused by the Alton Road construction mess.
– The organic farmer’s market happens Wednesday in the breezeway at the Sunset Harbour Shops.
– On Thursday, Miami Beach police are holding a police captain’s walk with Venetian Isle homeowners. It starts at 5 p.m. at the corner of East Dilido Drive and North Venetian Way. The walk is a chance to discuss security concerns in the neighborhood.
It’s a beautiful morning for a marathon. We’ll have more photos later!
Here’s a link to the Herald’s coverage.
Thanks to BelleIsleBlog.com photogs Herb Frank and Steve Neifeld!
The trolley will provide free rides to residents during the Alton Road construction project, which has disrupted traffic throughout the West Avenue neigbhorhood.
The trolley was proposed by Mayor Philip Levine at the Dec. 11 city commission meeting. The West Avenue Corridor Neighborhood Association (WAVNA) has pushed hard for solutions to the painful byproducts of the construction project.
The Alton/West Loop will take passengers north along Alton Road, from Fifth Street to Lincoln Road then south on West Avenue back to Fifth Street.
Here’s a Miami Herald story on the loop.
We’re in the countdown to Miami Marathon (and Half-Marathon) Sunday.
The big race happens Sunday morning, with a 6 a.m. start downtown near American Airlines Arena downtown. The route should bring the first races (wheelchair competitors) to Belle Isle around 6:45 a.m.
Plan ahead — for breakfast at home, or a walk to the story, or better yet, getting up early to go out and cheer the runners.
When runners pass us by, they will be about 8 miles into either a 13.1-mile or 26.2 mile journey. They’d love your support, and they have worked hard for this day.
If you have to leave the island, know you can only go east, and it will be a slow slog…..
Our neighbors in Sunset Harbour have the second organic farmer’s market Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. in the breezeway at the new Sunset Harbour Shops.
The market will feature goodies from Paradise Farms, including baby greens, micro greens, fresh and dried oyster mushrooms, edible flowers, flower tea, herbs, carrots, beets, radish, scallions, avocados, heirloom tomatoes, honey, carambola, local eggs, goat cheese and seasonal fruit.